Monday, August 3, 2015

First Day of Elm Tree Poetry: Week 2

Hi there Elm Tree Poetry fams,

What a wonderful first day--the time flew by! We started the day playing getting-to-know-you games: sharing names and a food that begins with the same letter as their first name, telephone, and a movement game that involves a great deal of coordination. Then we established our hide-and-seek boundaries in the forest-like area by the entrance of the park and let the children play for a while. They played a few rounds and then Hector suggested we search for insects. The children picked out sticks and started digging. We observed an ant carrying food and discussed the various types of food that ants collect. Some children were afraid of ants, and we talked about the difference between friendly black ants and mean red ones. 







As we walked to find a shady snack and read aloud area, we learned a silly walking song called "What Can Make a Hippopotomus Smile." When we start slowing down, the rhythm keeps us moving! During snack, Sally presented the book "Fortunately" by Remy Charlip. She asked the group if they knew the meanings of the words, "fortunately" and "unfortunately." They weren't sure until we started giving out examples; then they all joined in with examples of their own. Once the children understood the words, Sally read the book, and we collaborated on our own story consisting of fortunate and unfortunate events. Below you'll find the transcription of our story: 

Fortunately, I woke up to the smell of a cake baking in my kitchen. 
Unfortunately, a mouse jumped in. 
Fortunately, I killed the mouse. 
Unfortunately, we couldn't eat the cake. 
Fortunately, there was another cake out. 
Unfortunately, it broke.
Fortunately, there was a whole giant cake, even bigger than any person. 
Unfortunately, the big giant cake gave me a stomach ache, and I felt so sick, I had to get back in bed where I could still smell all the cake.
Fortunately, I had balloons tied to my bed, and my window was open. The balloons lifted my bed and pulled me outside, and I went flying around while I was sleeping, and I got to see the stars, and I then I got a little higher, and I got to see the planets, and then I got a little higher, and I was above the clouds, and I started to cry because I missed my little sister, but I really liked being with the stars.
Unfortunately, the balloons popped, and I landed on earth with a big head bonk, and my brain cracked.
Fortunately, I had a helmet on.
Unfortunately, it broke.
Fortunately, my head was made of metal because I'm a robot.
Unfortunately, another robot came over and ate my head. 
THE END.

Here are a few photos from our walk, snack, and story time!




When we finished the story and packed up our snacks, we walked to the Natural Playground. The Elm Tree sand toys are the most popular on the playground because they're all kitchen items-- a colander, wooden spoons, various measuring cups, different shaped drinking cups, an ice cream scoop, and a metal bowl-- so we always end up taking turns and making new friends! The kids worked on independent sand baking projects before searching for fairies and elves in the stump paths and bushes. Free-play and exploration quickly bonded the group. 













We corralled the kiddos and walked to Romy and Sally's favorite shade-tree to eat lunch and embark on a writing and art activity. After lunch, the kids decided to try rolling down the hill. They turned out to be quite the talented tumblers and showed us their somersaulting skills. Woohoo!







They got all their wiggles out, so we sat down to work on our Prospect Park Imaginary Animal Guide Book. To prepare, we read excerpts from a Prospect Park Guide Book showcasing animals from the Zoo. These animals included a wallaby, snowy owl, bald eagle, a capybara, and more. Romy and Sally also shared a few animals from a Sonoran Desert Guide Book, as well as an example of a guide book entry for an imaginary creature: the pig-nosed water lizard. Some of the children started drawing the animals as we read about them. Then we discussed the different elements of a guide book entry, including a description of the animal, their habitat, prey, friends, and foes. The kids were itching to get to work. Here are photos of the Elm Tree Troop at work followed by our Guide Book: 













"Buffalo-Bird," "Sea Gull," and "The Minimus" by Miriam



"The Zebra Bird" by Lyla



"The Robot Pentopis" by Ulysses



"The Bat Nest" and "The Bat" by Wynnie



"The Camel" and "Poppy" by Wynnie



"The Flying Underwater Eagle Robot & Prey" by Hector


We finished the day at the sprinklers! Here are some photos of the kids at play:


















Looking forward to continuing to explore poetry in the park with your children!

<3 Romy & Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment